Derek Maylor, NW BT Unions H&S Co-ord member provides current information on the Coronavirus (Covid-19) for CWU T&FS members:
Further to Branch T&FS information “coronavirus 0120” issued 21/01/20 the Branch continues to monitor the Coronavirus Outbreak and the advice issued by international health organisations and experts including the WHO, PHE, NHS, DHSC.
There is little change to the general advice despite Arrowe Park Hospital being high profiled in the news, no one is overstating the likelihood of an outbreak of the virus as long as it is controlled when suspected.
It is a tribute to Branch members and the people of the area that those confined to barracks in the hospital are being made welcome by the local populace; in many parts of the country there would have been uproar and antagonism toward the unfortunate people being shut in a room for two weeks for no fault of their own.
We will consider requesting deep cleaning etc should there be a localised outbreak, but general advice continues to promote the ‘good hand hygiene’ reiterated by the UK’s Chief Medical Officer, PHE and NHS as the first and most important line of defence.
For those who receive any mail from the area - advice is that the virus does not survive well for long periods outside the body and so it is highly unlikely that 2019-nCoV can be spread through post or packages. Furthermore, it is also highly unlikely that the virus can be spread through food so you can carry on with the Friday night take-away.
Should there be any localised issues the immediate NHS advice will be:
- wash your hands often, particularly important after taking public transport
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- if you feel unwell, stay at home, do not attend work
- cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a bin
- clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in the workplace
- if worried about symptoms, call NHS 111 rather than going to GP or NHS centre
- Public Health England. (2020). Assist professionals in advising the general public. Available: http://bit.ly/39jYNvl Last accessed 7 February 2020.
- CWU LTB063.20
- Hand sanitiser 017664
- Handwash 092581
- Cream hand cleaner 017663
Collated by Derek Maylor 7 February 2020
Designed, Hosted and Maintained by Union Safety Services